Show Some Accessory Love to Your Used Car Buyers
- Stop missing out on used market accessory sales.
- Used car buyers deserve the same experience.
The accessories market is a hot topic right now for dealerships. With less profit coming from the actual car sale, how are you going to continue to survive and make money in the future? 40 years ago, we faced the same question. The result was the creation of the F&I department. It’s been a standard in dealerships ever since.
Today, accessories are the new profit center. When I say accessories, your mind probably goes instantly to the new shiny models loaded with all sorts of fancy gadgets. But that is too easy; many OEMs provide software to showcase their OEM accessories for the shiny new models. What about used car personalization? What about selling accessories to your used car buyers?
Some dealers are selling almost as many used cars as they are new. Used car buyers are your customers too, and deserve the same buying experience as your new car buyers.
Let’s take a look at why used car customers are great prospects for accessories…
- Used vehicles are usually a less expensive option, leaving more cash in the customer’s wallet to spend on accessories.
- It’s rare a customer will find everything they want in one used model at your dealership. Offering personalization options up-front, like DVD or navigation systems, roof racks, and even leather or heated seats will make your used car selection more desirable.
- Use pre-loading as a way to spruce up a less than desirable trade-in. For example, if the seats are dirty, upgrade by pre-loading leather seats.
Accessories aren’t just for new cars anymore. Stop letting profits from used car accessory sales leave your store. By offering a great mix of accessories for both new and used, you’ll create awareness with your customers, improving your repeat and referral business.
Seven years ago, I told the unpleasant story of my first “real” vehicle purchase. But, I learned the warning signs to watch for. Here's a…